Â 61 Arlington StreetÂ G3 6DT
John Burnet, 1871; Andrew Myles, 1875; Benjamine Conner, 1893 & 1902
Category A Listed
This is the oldest private club of its kind in Europe. A fine example of Victorian architecture, the main facade is well proportioned and gives an effect of modest Classicism. Join a tour and discover their hidden and mesmerising Turkish Room.
Built during1871, the building is a fine example of Victorian Architecture. Opening on the 1 August 1871 membership drawn from the local area, lived within walking distance of the Club, appearing first thing in the morning before work and returning in the evening before going home in a regular twice daily ritual.In 1875 a Turkish Room was added allowing membership to increase to 600. This Glaswegian homage to the Alhambra, with its tiled walls and floors, beehive roof studded with star shaped coloured windows, sufficient only to light the space dimly, calmed bathers as they reclined on benches in warm seclusion.
In 1893 architectÂ Andrew Myles was employed to add an additional Reading Room and Billiard Room. These were added to the south end of the existing building in the form of a single storey â€œpiano nobileâ€? extending the faÃ§ade of the building.
A third extension was added, which moved the entrance from the centre of the building to what now emerged as a kind of interregnum between the two phases of the street frontage. This was developed separately as an entrance leading to a grand staircase, which in turn led to the reading room and billiard room on the first floor. Myles emphasised this by means of a triple arched entrance and steps with a five arched loggia above.
In 1902 a further extension was required as membership grew. Architect Benjamin Conner extended the front wall of the original building directly upwards to create a larger billiard hall and long gallery, which is now used as a gym, lit by a regular rhythm of single windows.
The result, perhaps surprisingly, is not unpleasant. In fact its haphazard eclecticism gives the building a strangely modern, or rather post modern, appeal.
Number in Brochure: 94
Tours: Sat & Sun 10am 4pm; 1/2 hour. Meeting Point: Members Lounge
Restrictions on Access: Shoe covers will be required to be worn. These will be provided by the club.
No Disabled Access
Depending on the disability, disabled people can access the ground floor of the building, however there are no lifts to the upper floor, therefore the only access would be by stairs. Movement throughout the building is not really suitable for those in a w
Nearest Train or Subway Station(s): ST GEORGES CROSS SUBWAY
Parking: On Street Parking Available Charges Apply
There is on street parking adjacent to the building entrance. Parking charges are currently 20p for the first 30 minutes and 20p for every 10 minutes thereafter up to a maximum 3 hours. Parking meters are available in the street.
0141 332 6021