Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church

 

Saltoun Street  G12 9AG

James Sellars, 1876

Category A Listed

Comprehensive re-roofing has enabled this iconic building to remain as a place of worship fulfilling its orginal purpose. Built in 1876 as the subject of an architectural competition, this winning design for Hillhead Parish Church was based on Sainte Chapelle.

Sellers original design was altered and adapted to suit a ‘more Scottish manner’, then in 1921 the interior was  re-ordered when the Light was introduced with the new War Memorial Chancel arrangement. The beautiful soaring windows will lift your eyes upwards to the groined and vaulted ceiling which has also been recently preserved as part of the 2014-15 re-roofing works.

This building has stood as a place of worship for nearly 140 years and it still fulfills its original function as a place of sanctuary and community. It has stood the test of time, its narrow buttresses were  driven down to the rock below the old mine workings of the area. The magnificent addition of the figured Stained Glass took place around 1900, the size of which are seldom seen within a Parish Church and eight of these large windows have been restored in recent years. Cottier, Burne-Jones, Shrigley-Hunt, Meikle and Maclellan have all contributed to the beauty of this building. The little windows around the entrance to the church were also restored as a gift to the current Congregation, who enjoy the art within and are keen to share with all who enter. The sumptuousness of these pre-raphaelite windows is always a delight especially with the sun shining through. The space is a friendly one and the recent building works have enabled the previously closed South Porch Door to be re-opened, such that you can now enter straight into the body of the kirk if you wish, but essentially this extra door allows the Congregation greater flexibility in the use of the space upstairs, not just for worship, but for performance and exhibitions. All Buildings such as this must be sustainable going forward, the door opening is just the first step along the way.  Listen out for ad-hoc performances & talks.

Part of the Childrens Programme: Each year we have an have an I-Spy Trail for children of all ages. Prizes are awarded instantly and are usually edible. A dedicated play area for the littlest ones is also available.

Hosting a Lids Open Day

Number in Brochure: 101

Opening Times

Sat 10am 5pm, Sun 10am 4pm (Worship 11am 12noon). Tours: Available on Request; 20 minutes. Meeting Point: Main Entrance Under Gallery

Access

Restrictions on Access: Boiler Room access restricted.

Full Disabled Access
Ramped access both to Sanctuary and to Halls below.

Facilities

Disabled Toilet
Toilets
Hearing Loop
Refreshments Available

Getting Here

Nearest Train or Subway Station(s): Partick & Hillhead

Parking: Car Park Available On-Site Free of Charge
Private car park for approx 10 – 12 cars access via Grosvenor Crescent. Otherwise on street parking available free of charge

Contact

0141 334 2788

fabric@kelvinside-hillhead.org.uk
www.kelvinside-hillhead.org.uk
Facebook
Twitter
www.blog.kelvinside-hillhead.org.uk

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church

loading map please wait

Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church
55.877586, -4.293659