St. Andrew’s Cathedral

 

190 Clyde Street  G1 4JY

James Gillespie Graham, 1816; Page\Park, 2011

Category A Listed

Renovated in 2011, Glasgow’s first post-reformation Catholic church and early example of Gothic revivalism has stunning décor, artwork including Peter Howson’s St John Ogilvie, and a garden with an imaginative monument. Visitors welcome for worship, Sunday 10am and 12 noon.

St Andrews Cathedral is seen in a new light since the renovation work completed in April 2011, almost two hundred years after it first opened in 1816. Visitors remark on the brightness and the colour which are now the features of a much-loved city-centre church restored to the people of Glasgow and welcoming all who come to visit. The artwork and the imaginative cloister garden all enhance this sacred space.

Within the Cathedral you can take time to appreciate the atmosphere of prayer and peace which embraces the visitor. Guides will be available to give a flavour of what makes up the daily programme of this Church, and to describe the various artefacts and the artists behind them, such as the baptismal font by Tim Pomeroy, the painting of St John Ogilvie by Peter Howson, the sculpted doors byJack Sloane and Hector McGarva and the altar and lectern by Archbishop Mario Conti and Neil Reid.

The Cloister Garden, with its own entrance from Clyde Street, invites the visitor to read on the wall plaques the story of the Archdiocese of Glasgow and its Cathedral. The monument in the centre courtyard recalls the sinking of the Arandora Star during the Second World War and the impact this event had on the Scots Italian community. Come and walk among the mirrored plinths and reflect on the inscribed words from Scripture and literature, or listen to local expert Ralph Gonnella, on hand to guide visitors through the garden and speak of his grandfather who perished on the ill-fated former cruise liner.

Number in Brochure: 29

Opening Times

Cathedral: Sat 10am – 12.30pm and 2 4pm, Sun 10am – 4pm (Masses at 10am and 12 noon). Tours: Sat 11am, 2.30pm & 3.30pm, Sun 1.15pm, 2.30pm & 3.30pm; 30 minutes. Meeting Point: Entrance Porch. Cloister Garden: Sat & Sun 10am 4pm. Tours of Garden: avail

Access

Limited Disabled Access
Access from Cloister Garden and from side door on west side of building.

Facilities

Disabled Toilet
Toilets
Hearing Loop

Getting Here

Nearest Train or Subway Station(s): Central Station & Argyle Street

Parking: On Street Parking Available Charges Apply
Q-Park Multi Storey Car Park situated nearby

Contact

0141 204 2409

info@cathedralG1.org

www.cathedralG1.org

Facebook

Map

icon-car.pngKML-LogoFullscreen-LogoQR-code-logoGeoJSON-LogoGeoRSS-Logo
St. Andrew’s Cathedral

loading map please wait

St. Andrew’s Cathedral
55.855528, -4.252996